Anonymous

Self employed, facing cancer, chemo and client deadlines. How did she do it?


When starting out as a sole trader, the last thing on your mind is how to cope if you got sick. I don't mean just the flu that might knock you about for a couple of days, and put you behind on deadlines. What if an injury or illness was going to lay you up for at least 6 months? Would you just shut down the business you've been building up, and start again once recovered? What if you don't know how long the illness will last, or how much work you'll be capable of doing from one week to the next?

Diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2010, I had no idea  how much work I'd be able to do during treatment, if any. And my fledgling business was in no financial state to hire someone to help out. I certainly didn't relish the idea of starting again in 6 months or a year, as I'd built up a nice little niche of clients. So, if I didn't want to close down the business, how could I prepare for the unknown?

My first solution was to find a backup graphic designer, who I trusted to treat my clients with respect, and provide quality work. We came to the arrangement that if unable to work, I would pass the job to her with all the relevant details. She would then ring the client, advising she was helping out while I was unwell, and then invoice me for the hours at the same rate I was invoicing my client. Neither of us made a great profit out of it, but my clients were kept happy and the work continued to be done.

My next problem was "how much to you let your clients know?"

As a sole trader in a repeat business industry, and especially when working from home, there can be a very fine line between client and acquaintance. A simple "how are you" can often result in half an hour of chatter, before discussing the job at hand. So I decided on a simple adjustment to my email signature, along with a small post on my website. It simply stated; "Andy would like to thank her clients for their continued support during her illness. Should you be unable to contact her, please call ... " and I attached a little pink ribbon next to the wording. It was simple, to the point, and if any of my clients felt the need to share on a more personal level, the choice was then theirs to make.

The final and most difficult decision I had to make, was when I would visit a client at their office, in person, without hair. When in that situation, there was only one right choice to make. Be bold and honest when making the appointment. "So I'll see you tomorrow at 3pm. Oh, and by the way, don't freak out that I have no hair. I'm busy kicking cancer, but can still work on your design at the same time."

After a full year of being a casual employee of my own business, I gave cancer its marching orders and threw a backyard BBQ, to thank all my clients for having faith in me. Working as much as I was able to, enabled me to stay focused, active and involved.

And I only had to arrange for a courier to collect a USB of artwork at the hospital once. But that's a story for another day.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :